You don't have to be in a gang; you can be legitimate if you want. You can be in a gang, and work legitimate on the side; either one works. If you aren't in a gang, you can get a good base pay, there's a chance to get a pay raise for hard work, and there's no risk of prison or ruthless bosses. If you ARE in a gang, things work a little differently. You aren't working for yourself; you're working for organized crime. They will give you a task and a rank. Your rank will often decide the task you're performing, but every time you do a job, the money goes to the family first, and gets distributed throughout the organization at the end of the week.
- Every section of the city generates income, as well as provides certain abilities for your organization if you own it.
- Taking a territory is a move that can only be decided by the gang leader.This can be done by either:
- having someone peddle weapons or drugs in that territory for 4 in game days (typically done for 8 hours at a time).
- Taking it by force. This means a squad of men occupy the area uncontested for 12 hours.
- Convince all civilians that work or spend their time in that area to shift loyalty to your organization (Killing them gets you nothing).